It's so hard to find a Japanese eatery that serves authentic and umami Japanese food without burning a big hole in my pocket. Needless to say, the best Japanese food I had or anyone could find, would be in Japan. For now, at least in Singapore, Koh Grill & Sushi Bar is one of the few places I frequently indulge in to satisfy my endless craving for Japanese food.
Some pre-visit messages:
1. Be prepared to pay! Though it may be situated near the food court area, the food prices aren't food court prices! At most times, bills amount to more than common sushi chains such as Sakae Sushi, or even Sushi Tei.
2. Expect appalling service! You might be searching for eye contact or waving hands for more than 10 minutes before you could flag down a waitress. That will be the norm there. Why? Because there's no service charge!! Hahahaaa... On a serious note, I believe it's probably because they are rather understaffed and the restaurant is constantly packed with a never-ending queue lining out there with killing stares! This brings me to my next point.
3. Wear a pair of comfortable shoes! Because you might have to queue for 20 minutes. I read a blogger who said that he queued for an hour! Wow... he was so suay lor... Lucky me.. I've visited Koh Grill & Sushi Bar many times and I've only waited for about 10 minutes or so. The longest waiting time was about 15 minutes.
4. Make reservation please, if you wanna skip the queue and if you're going in a big group. See the contact number at the end of my post!
5. Prepared to get cozy. Many couples visit Koh Grill & Sushi Bar. I've seen three couples sitting side by side in a six-seater table, three girlfriends lining on one side and their boyfriends opposite them, lining on the other side. Haha, they can check out one another's girl/boy. Unless you don't mind counter seats, the tables are placed pretty close to one another.
6. Go with a empty stomach! Koh Grill & Sushi Bar has a very extensive menu. They have sashimi, tempura, sushi, maki, grilled items, fried rice, udon and etc. You'll be spoilt with choices and might not have an idea what to order!
And because you might not know what to order, based on my visit experiences, I shall recommend the following...
Koh Grill & Sushi Bar
Address: #04-21, Wisma Atria Shopping Centre, 435 Orchard Road
Opening hours: (Daily) 11:30 - 22:30